Lenovo BIOS/UEFI update from USB stick (without bootable CD)
In this blog post I will show you how to update UEFI BIOS on your Lenovo Thinkpad laptop without need to boot into Windows or use bootable CD/DVD.
1) Go to Lenovo support portal and search for you device (ideally by its Serial Number (S/N)).
2) Go to “Drivers & Software” page and pick component “BIOS/UEFI”.
3) Find a latest version of “BIOS Update Bootable CD” suitable for your device.
4) Download the CD ISO image.
5) Download a geteltorito perl script which will be used to extract a bootable image from the ISO file.
6) Extract the bootable image from the ISO
./geteltorito -o bios.img 8auj27us.iso
7) Copy the image into your USB stick by dd utility (this step will destroy current content on the USB flash drive)
sudo dd if=bios.img of=/dev/sdb
Note: Update the actual device (/dev/sdb) to match your connected USB flash drive.
8) Call sync to synchronize cached writes to persistent storage
9) And that’s it!
Now you have a bootable USB flash drive with Lenovo BIOS Update Utility!
5 thoughts on “Lenovo BIOS/UEFI update from USB stick (without bootable CD)”
Literally saved me after 1h of suffering as the iso file was not writeable to bootable usb neither with rufus not with anything else i tried. i even tried to uncompress it with 7zip with no luck
this saved me from the need to either get an external cd burner and cd disc or install windows 10 just for a bios update on the machine
thanks a lot
Although the post is old, it helped a lot and worked like a charm, thank you!
worked perfectly! Thanks a bunch
Thank you so much! It works!
Comments are closed.