In this blog post I will show you how to update UEFI BIOS on your Lenovo Thinkpad laptop without need to boot into Windows or use bootable CD/DVD.
1) Go to Lenovo support portal and search for you device (ideally by its Serial Number (S/N)).
2) Go to “Drivers & Software” page and pick component “BIOS/UEFI”.
3) Find a latest version of “BIOS Update Bootable CD” suitable for your device.
4) Download the CD ISO image.
5) Download a geteltorito perl script which will be used to extract a bootable image from the ISO file.
6) Extract the bootable image from the ISO
./geteltorito -o bios.img 8auj27us.iso
7) Copy the image into your USB stick by dd utility (this step will destroy current content on the USB flash drive)
sudo dd if=bios.img of=/dev/sdb
Note: Update the actual device (/dev/sdb) to match your connected USB flash drive.
8) Call sync to synchronize cached writes to persistent storage
9) And that’s it!
Now you have a bootable USB flash drive with Lenovo BIOS Update Utility!